Join us as a 2019/2020 Side x Side Master Teacher!
Side x Side, along with its partners at the University of Southern Maine and the Portland Museum of Art, invite you to join our Master Teacher program.
Side x Side Master Teachers will continue to deepen and expand their use of the arts across content areas in order to engage their students in new ways of learning.
Any Portland teacher who has completed at least one Side x Side program and attends the 2019 Summer Arts Institute can apply to become a 2019/2020 Side x Side Master Teacher. Side x Side will fund up to 20 Master Teachers for 2019/2020.
Master Teacher requirements:
- Attend 2019 Summer Arts Institute, June 24-25, at the Portland Museum of Art.
- Apply – and be accepted – to work with a Side x Side teaching artist in your classroom during the 2019/2020 school year to collaborate, design, and co-teach an arts-based lesson.
- Work with your teaching artist to plan a second smaller integrated arts lesson to be implemented by you, the classroom teacher.
- Help us grow arts integration in Maine by mentoring a new Side x Side Lewiston classroom teacher who is just starting to integrate the arts into their classroom.
What does it mean to mentor a Lewiston teacher?
- Side x Side will partner you with a Lewiston teacher (based on grade level)
- You will share your planning/program materials with your Lewiston teacher mentee.
- Side x Side will provide substitute teacher coverage for up to two classroom observations between mentor/mentee.
- You will communicate with your mentee at least two times in-person (observations, meetings) and/or electronically (email, Face Time/Google Hangouts) before May 2020.
- You will be invited to the Lewiston summer PD and your mentee will be invited to the Portland summer PD 2020 (attendance is optional).
Master Teacher benefits:
2019/2020 Master Teachers receive:
- $600 stipend *CEUs or Contact Hours for SAI available upon request.
- two funded arts integrated lessons
- in-class support from teaching artists and USM education interns.
> Apply now to become a 2019/2020 Side x Side Master Teacher