Before you begin…
Each student should choose a building, location, or space in Portland to research as part of their Portland History unit. ie: Lincoln Park, Monument Square, Portland Observatory, Victoria Mansion
Step 1: Draw Your Home
Each student will make a map of their home and block. First, have students create a “mental map” of where they live. Have them imagine their home, noting the details inside and out. What is around their home, down the street, behind?
- Ask “what makes a home a home?
- How would you draw a map of where you live?
- What kinds of things might you include on your map (ie: yards, neighbors, street signs, sidewalks, trees, special creatures, special places, etc.)?
Step 2: Draw Your Place
- Provide visual aids (photographs, drawings) of chosen historical locations for students to reference.
- Students draw their place on watercolor paper, using a pencil lightly.
- Next, they will trace their pencil lines with a permanent marker and erase the pencil lines.