Side x Side Teachers
As we wrap up another successful school year filled with masks and pooled testing, we are full of gratitude for the amazing work accomplished. Just this year, over 800 students, 48 teachers and specialists in Portland and over 300 students and 15 teachers and specialists in Lewiston benefited from custom designed arts integrated programming, making creative teaching accessible to so many learners!
For the past eight years, Side x Side has provided no-cost programming through two consecutive federal grants from the Department of Education, support from the LilySarahGrace Fund, and many other community donors, funders, and grantors. > See our list of our amazing supporters
As our federal funding ends, we are able to continue providing programming through partnerships and dedicated funders who support innovative education through arts integration. The LilySarahGrace Fund sustains our work in Title I elementary schools in Portland along with multiple donors and grantors who make additional programming possible. Visit our Donate page if you’d like to support the continuation of arts integration in public schools.
Arts Integration Classroom Programming for the 2022-2023 School Year
If you are a Portland educator and want to work with Side x Side, please fill out the required application (by June 9th) with your creative program idea and be prepared to attend planning meetings in September, 2022. Each program will be supported by an arts integration specialist and come with a teaching artist and a supply budget.
What to know about the Portland arts integration 2022-23 application process:
- Side x Side programming is open to all teachers and specialists (new or experienced) in Portland Title I elementary schools through an application.
- Collaboration with your building principal is advised and programs can be designed for a single classroom or grade-wide. If grade-wide, all teachers must complete one application together as well as plan and implement as a unit.
- Application deadline is June 9th.
- Side x Side staff will review each application carefully and select teachers who demonstrate an understanding of the importance of arts integration in their classroom and submit a well-defined and organized program plan.
- Applicants selected will be notified in July and are required to participate in September planning meetings.
What’s not changing in Portland this year:
- Same great teaching artists working with you to design and implement custom programs for your classroom.
- Same great model that supports student learning and provides no-cost programs to eligible applicants.
- Same great support from Side x Side, providing the structure and materials and showcasing amazing student work!
- Same great community of people supporting student learning.
- Submit an Application
- Receive acceptance notification via email in July.
- Participate in September program planning meetings.