- Teacher or teaching artist is at front of room.
- Students gather in a space with a projector and open floor space.
- Each student has a clipboard, individual atlas, and pencil.
Teaching Tip: Invite a map maker to read this prep exercise.
Step 1: Introductions
- Teacher or teaching artist gives an intro on the profession – map making.
- Introduce the idea of maps asking, “What is a map?” Show examples of artistic and scientific maps.
- Introduce the activities: each student will be mapping their home, school, neighborhood, and town while learning about Portland history, landmarks, and geography.
Step 2: Map Talk
The teacher or teaching artist discusses the art of map making and goes over three secrets to mapping:
- Scale: the ratio between the distance on a map and the corresponding distance on the ground (ie: 1 inch = 10 miles on the map).
- Perspective: drawing solid objects on a two-dimensional surface so as to give the correct impression of height, width, and depth.
- Symbology: use or study of symbols.